Recipe of the Week
- 1 medium sized onion
- 8oz (225g) spinach or chard
- 1oz (25g) butter or marg
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- seasoning to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- 4 free range eggs
- 2oz (50g) plain flour
- 8oz (225g) cottage cheese
- Fresh chives or spring onions chopped 2-3 tbsp
Print this recipe
- Grease and line a swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
- Finely chop the onion and remove the coarse stems from the spinach.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion until transparent.
- Add the spinach or chard and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until no moisture remains.
- Off the heat, stir in the parsley and season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Turn the mixture on to a clean working surface and chop (be sure not to puree it!). Leave to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and a pinch of the salt in a basin until thick and creamy, ie, until the trail of the whisk stays in the mixture.
- Fold in the cooled spinach/chard and the flour carefully, then turn the mixture into the prepared tin. Level the surface and bake in the oven at 200C (400F) Gas Mark 6 for 10-12 minutes until even and firm to the touch.
- Turn out on to a piece of greaseproof paper and roll up like a swiss roll, starting from the short edge and keeping the paper in between the roll. Leave to cool on a wire tray.
- Mix the cottage cheese with the chives. Carefully unroll the ‘roulade’ and spread with cottage cheese. Re-roll and serve with minted new potatoes & mixed salad leaves.
+ Add a recipe
Asparagus Cream Pasta
Bacon, Cabbage and Gruyere Pizza
Beetroot and Ginger Chocolate Brownies
Black Bean & Squash Burritos
Brown Rice Salad
Cabbage and Apple Coleslaw
Carrot & Coriander Loaf
Carrot & Leek Cobbler
Cauliflower & Blue Cheese Macaroni
Cauliflower & Pear Bake
Cauliflower, Carrot & Potato Korma
Celeriac & Parsnip Curry
Celeriac and Apple Bake
Celeriac and Pear Soup
Celeriac, Potato & Rosemary Gratin
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach and Mushroom
Cinnamon Lamb Steaks with Rice & Kale
Courgette & Goat's Cheese Tart
Courgette & Lemon Cake
Courgette & Spinach Soup
Creamed Spinach with Bacon
Creamed Turnips with Smoked Haddock
Creamy Leek Bake
Creamy Leek Risotto
Creamy Mustard Chicken with Spring Greens
Curried Carrot Veggie Burgers
Curried Vegetable Soup
Feta & Broad Bean Salad
Kohlrabi, Pear and Feta Cheese Salad
Leek & Potato Soup
Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon Creme Fraiche
Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon & Leeks
Quick and Easy Stir-Fried Spiced Red Cabbage with Apples
Rhubarb and Almond Cake
Rhubarb Sponge Pudding
Tomato & Basil Soup